Baking soda is a known ingredient of every household. It is chemically termed bicarbonate of soda and has many more abilities beyond the kitchen. This powder hidden in the kitchen cabinet has many more tricks above its sleeve. One of which is teeth whitening. Did you know that brushing teeth with baking soda lightens your teeth stains? Let’s dig in further.
Brushing Teeth with Baking Soda
Baking soda can be used in a variety of ways. Ranging from mixing with your regular toothpaste before brushing to combining with other chemicals. Below are 2 ways detailed for you.
Method # 1
- Grab a small neat, and clean container and fill it with half teaspoonful of baking soda.
- Next, add a few drops of water to that powder and stir until it forms a paste.
- Apply the mixture to your teeth with the help of a toothbrush or a finger.
- Let it stay for a few minutes.
- Finally, wash it out of your mouth by rinsing it with water.
Method # 2
- Grab a neat container and add half a teaspoonful baking soda and hydrogen peroxide each.
- Dissolve them until a paste is formed.
- Now, place it on every surface of your teeth, the enamel.
- Wait for a few minutes, then rinse the mouth.
Why Is Brushing Teeth With Baking Soda Of Any Use?
A few common benefits of brushing teeth with baking soda are as follows:
Teeth Whitening – Baking soda helps to give a pearly smile, although the process is gradual and shows slow results. Baking soda has whitening properties that eliminate marks from the teeth and improve appearance.
Cost-effective Whitening Solution – Baking soda is found in almost every household and is a relatively cheaper option to go for.
Teeth and Gum Protection – It helps reduce dental biofilms, such as plaque. Which is why after use the teeth are protected from harmful bacterial manifestation keeping your gums healthy and alive.
Balancing Mouth pH – Baking soda and water tend to increase the pH of your mouth, thereby neutralizing the acidity of the oral cavity. This helps keep the mouth free from bacterial buildup.
Final Take Out
Brushing teeth with baking soda is a practical, cheap method of whitening teeth. However, the results are slow and not very strong. However, baking soda does not mean that you stop going for adequate toothpaste that lacks fluoride. It is essential to re-mineralize your teeth.
Weigh the pros and cons and decide what kind of remedy is best for yourself. If you are in search of cosmetic options, contact dentists from Rio Dental for help. Call 210 785 8526 to schedule an appointment.